Scotland’s ancient capital for five centuries, Perth.
Scotland’s ancient capital for five centuries, the ‘Fair City’ of Perth is now the country’s newest city. Bustling, compact and beautifully situated on the banks of the River Tay in the east of Scotland, this city is a sparkling cosmopolitan gem that keeps on giving visit after visit.
Located only an hour from Edinburgh or Glasgow, Perth is one of the most accessible cities in the country
THINGS TO DO & PLACES TO SEE:
- THE BLACK WATCH CASTLE & MUSEUM:The Black Watch Museum is housed within the historic Balhousie Castle, the origins of which are said to date back to the 12th century. A visit to the ancestral Home of The Black Watch brings the history of Scotland’s oldest Highland Regiment’s to life, through artefacts, paintings, photographs, personal stories and interactive displays.
- PERTH CATHEDRAL – ST NINIANS: Perth Cathedral dedicated to St Ninian who introduced Christianity to Scotland in 397AD, was the first Cathedral built in the UK after the Reformation. Designed by celebrated Victorian architect William Butterfield, this beautiful Grade A listed building is the seat of the Bishop and Diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane in the Scottish Episcopal Church. An architectural and historical gem with fine stained glass, Perth Cathedral is home to an active congregation, enjoying links with the local community. We bid a warm welcome to all visitors and offer a place of tranquillity and prayer near the City Centre.
- BRANKLYN GARDEN: Cared for by the National Trust for Scotland. Discover this enchanting 2-acre hillside garden, created in the 1920s. A haven of peace and tranquillity within walking distance of Perth City Centre, it contains a wonderful collection of rare species, exotic plants and curious cultivars for you to enjoy.
- KING JAMES VI GOLF CLUB: Just five minutes on foot from the town centre, the river splits to create Moncrieffe Island the home of King James VI Golf Club. 18 holes, 6038 yards, SSS 69, par 70 The River Tay runs through the ‘Fair City’ of Perth, one of the most picturesque towns in Scotland.
- WILLOWGATE ACTIVITY CENTRE: Nestled on the banks of the Iconic River Tay just 5 miles outside of Perth City Centre and offers a host of exhilarating activities in the ultimate natural playground suitable for individuals, couples or groups. With lots of local wildlife you can enjoy a guided Kayak tour visiting the beautiful city of Perth or take a trip down into the Kingdom of Fife. Possible sightings include beavers, otters, seals, herons and oyster catchers to name a few.With a host of water and land based activities as well as theRiverside Cafe there’s something for everyone. Try your hand at Stand Up Paddleboarding, Aqua Zorbing or be Robin Hood on the Archery Range.
- THE FERGUSSON GALLERY: The unusual exterior of the old Watertower, where the Fergusson Gallery is based, is a fine example of the city’s unique architectural heritage. The three galleries contained within display superb works by John Duncan Fergusson, the celebrated Scottish Colourist, and his wife, Margaret Morris, who was a groundbreaking modern dancer. Sketchbooks, costumes and photographs illuminate the fascinating lives and love of these two remarkable artists, whose marriage lasted almost half a century.
- THE PERTH TREASURE HUNT TRAIL: The self guided Perth Treasure Hunt Trail was written with families in mind as it can be enjoyed by children and adults of all ages from 6-106. Can you work together to solve the sneaky (and sometimes tricky) clues found on permanent features around Perth?
The West Lodge Estate offer luxurious lodges for that perfect getaway. Holiday lodges for sale Perthshire, enjoy the Scottish countryside.
PLACES TO EAT & DRINK:
- RATTRAY’S BAR & RESTAURANT: With a comfortable welcoming vibe, you can unwind while enjoying lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether you are looking to grab a quick bite, just enjoy a drink or throw a party with friends or family, Rattray’s Bar and Kitchen is the place to be.With an awesome menu featuring Fresh Fish, custom Burgers, Pizza and our signature Pulled Pork and Buffalo Sauce, Rattray’s has something to satisfy everyone’s appetite. Kids Menu and Special Dietary requirements are also catered for.
- THE NORTH PORT RESTAURANT: Modern Scottish Cuisine, a fantastic new addition to Perth’s vibrant eating out scene. Ingredients are supplied by small, local growers, breeders, suppliers and foragers.The ‘Tay Room’ is a beautifully refurbished private dining area for up to 16 guests. Menus can be tailored to suit all tastes and budgets.
- 63 TAY STREET RESTAURANT: Smart, contemporary in style, cosy and welcoming, 63 Tay Street commands excellent views across the Tay in the heart of Perth. If you delight in unusual ingredients, innovative cooking, robust, authentic flavours and the sheer pleasure of sitting down to enjoy superb craftsmanship, this is the place for you.
- THE TAVERN: Winner of the ‘Best Bar Food Venue’ at the Perth Pubwatch Awards 2014 The Tavern is a traditional, family friendly bar known for its great service. Offering a wide ranging menu including light lunchtime bites to hearty and traditional Scottish favourites, they’ll even serve them in a kilt!
- CAFÉ TABOU: Café Tabou is undoubtedly a unique place, where taste and good manners prevail. Professional service entails satisfying every wish of the customer and their refined wine list comprises a variety of carefully selected wines matching their menu. The wines cater for all tastes not only those of connoisseurs. The wine list has been created with specialist expertise and with our customers’ expectations in mind.